On Thursday, Sept. 13 a fire broke out in the boys’ locker room during sixth period at Granite Hills High School.
Around 2 p.m. in the afternoon the fire broke out in three lockers. Freshman Jorge Flores said “It was funny because some people didn’t even know what was happening. No one was really worried about the fire, they were more concerned with their items in their lockers.”
Granite P.E. teacher, Rich Lambie, was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation after trying to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
Junior Clayton Fox said he saw Lambie returning to the campus at about 5 p.m. to retrieve his car from the school parking lot.
All classrooms were evacuated and proceeded with a fire drill. The fire drill was conducted efficiently and effectively by the students and staff of Granite Hills. After about 15 minutes of waiting, school administration allowed classes to return to their rooms after it was deemed safe for them, except for the PE classes, who could return due to fire damage.
Sophomore Manuel Leon said “It was miserable having to wait in the sun for 15 minutes. But hopefully no one got seriously hurt in the fire.”
A more in-depth follow up article will be posted in the Grizzly Gazette on Monday, September 17.